*editted to add: a BIG thanks to Jamie, a blog follower, for calculating the calorie count on these. these fat free muffins are only 90 calories each! 🙂
let me show you how muffins are done.
ooey, gooey strawberry banana muffins that are…. wait for it…. FAT FREE.
yes. 100% fat free. what’s my secret, you ask? mashed bananas, applesauce, and fresh sweet strawberries.
i got this recipe idea from one of my favorite bloggers, Averie over @ Averie Cooks. Averie’s a baking genius. her website is PACKED with several droolworthy cookies, cakes, breads, entrees, and my recent favorite: Oreo Cookie Stuffed Brownies with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting. need i say more?anyway, Averie’s strawberry banana bread looked amazing, so i added it to my to-bake list. so rich, so moist, and so photogenic! check out her post for some amazing photos.
i made a few changes to her recipe, though. first, i turned her bread recipe into muffins. simply because i wanted some portion control (which didn’t help at all since i ate 3 straight out of the oven….) i also reduced the sugar by 1/4 cup and used apple sauce in lieu of oil, making these babies completely fat free. i’m not even sure how something fat free could taste so… creamy (?) but these totally do. i don’t even know how muffins can be creamy in the first place. these muffins are a miracle. make them now.
strawberry banana muffins
(categorized under granola & healthy stuff)
makes 1 dozen muffins
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 medium banana, divided (mash 1/2 and slice the other half into very thin slices)
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray muffin tray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir to combine the flour, sugars, baking soda, & cinnamon.
- Slice the banana in half and mash 1st half with a fork and cut 2nd half into thin slices (set these aside). Add the mashed banana to the dry ingredients and stir.
- Add the applesauce, beaten egg white, vanilla and stir until *just* combined. Do NOT overmix.
- Gently fold in the strawberries and banana slices. Pour batter into muffin tray, filling about 2/3 of the way up. Bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Enjoy!
ps- i think you’ll enjoy these healthy goodies too 😉