i ❤ oatmeal cookies. the chewy, buttery oats and sweet brown sugar sugar all packed into one perfectly soft cookie? drooooool.
i made up these last weekend when i had a request to bake some cookies with m&ms. i made my rainbow m&m cookies not too long ago, so i wanted to whip up something a tad different. enter oats. i pretty much made this recipe up as i went along and i must say…… these babies are deeeeeeeeelish. soft, chewy (have i convinced you how chewy these are yet?!?!), buttery, chocolately, mmm-worthy (definitely a word), and full of teeny tiny mini m&ms.
(categorized under cookies)
makes approx 32 cookies
- 1/2 cup butter, softened to room temp
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1.5 cups whole rolled oats
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup mini m&ms
- In a large bowl, beat the softened butter and sugars until smooth and creamy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix well.
- Slowly stir in the baking soda, oats, and flour. Mix together until just combined. Do not overmix. Fold in the mini m&ms.
- Chill the dough for at least one hour in the fridge. (cookies will be very flat if the dough is not very cold)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Roll and drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheet or silpat. Bake for 11 minutes and let cool on baking sheet for a minute or two before transferring to a wire rack.
* The cookies will be very soft and may appear undone after only 11 minutes in the oven, but they will firm up.
** Make sure to keep the unused dough in the fridge as each batch is baking. The dough MUST be cold.