prepare for something goooooooey…
after eyeing Averie’s caramel apple bars a few weeks ago, i knew i had to remake them somehow and some way. i took her flavor combination idea (Averie seriously comes up with the best flavor combos) and tweaked the recipe a bit to bake up an amazingly gooey, soft, and surprisingly healthy oatmeal bar. these bars taste sinful, in the best possible way. 😉
cinnamon apples. gooey, sweet caramel. buttery, chewy oats. rich, creamy peanut butter.
out. of. this. world.
(categorized under granola/healthy stuff)
adapted from love veggies and yoga
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup light butter, softened (i use land o lakes light)
- 2.5 cups whole rolled oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 cup chopped & peeled apples
- sugar free caramel sauce for drizzling (about 3 tbsp)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8×8 baking pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir to combine the applesauce, peanut butter, and softened light butter (get all those chunks of butter mixed in well).
- Add oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Fold in the chopped apples. Pour mixture into prepared baking pan and bake for 30 minutes. They bars may look a bit dry on top, but trust me, they are not!
- Drizzle the caramel sauce over the hot bars and let cool completely before cutting into squares. I actually stuck mine in the fridge for an hour before cutting into squares.
- For best taste, store in an airtight container in the fridge until they are all polished off (won’t take long, trust me)
*note: the bars may break a little while you’re cutting. if they are, you need to chill the bars for longer.
ps- i think you’ll enjoy these healthy bites too 😉
& in case you’re itchin’ for something a little sweeter….