these incredibly addicting cookies are super chewy and, by far, the softest cookie i’ve ever baked! they completely disappeared when i brought them into work, with some people even asking me if they were store-bought. the horror!
i plan to use this basic drop cookie recipe again and again. it is literally perfect. it calls for 1 egg and 1 egg yolk. after doing some researching i learned that eliminating one egg white boosts chewiness, as does using a higher ratio of brown sugar to white.
make these now and learn why you will use this recipe time and time again!
makes 3 dozen
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1.5 sticks butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini m&m’s
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix the flour and baking soda in a bowl and set aside. With an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugars until creamy. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix well. Gradually add the flour mixture and stir until a dough forms (may take a couple minutes of stirring). Fold in the m&m’s.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 8-11 minutes or until edges are slightly browned. The centers should appear soft and puffy. Let cool completely and enjoy!!