i changed it up bridget’s original recipe quite a bit because i wanted a rich caramel-y flavor to pair with the sweet/salty pretzel m&ms. i browned some butter and mixed it with brown sugar before adding some other blondie ingredients. the browned butter makes a HUGE difference in any baked recipe, it delivers a rich, caramel and butterscotch flavor that is predominant in each soft & chewy bite. (you can read about my obsession to brown butter here.)
if you like salty/sweet, you’ll flip for these blondies.
(categorized under brownies/bars)
adapted from here
- 1 cup butter, browned (you may also use melted butter but i highly suggest browning it to get the caramel flavor!)
- 1 3/4 cups dark brown sugar
- 2 cups + 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup pretzel m&ms
- caramel sauce for drizzling (optional)
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly. Remove from heat immediately when the butter begins to turn brown (about 8 minutes).
- Pour browned butter into large mixing bowl. Stir in brown sugar. Let the mixture cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8×8 baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- To the cooled down butter/sugar mixture, stir in beaten eggs and vanilla.
- Sift flour into the wet ingredients and add baking powder and salt. Mix well. Stir in pretzel m&ms.
- Pour into prepared baking pan and bake for about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and drizzle caramel sauce on top. Set back in oven for about 5 minutes, until edges are brown and a fork poked in the center comes out clean.
- Allow blondies to cool completely and cut into squares. Enjoy!
ps- i think you’ll enjoy these blondie recipes too 😉
funfetti cake batter blondies (my most popular recipe)