probably the first and most important reason i like to bake cake and cupcakes is so that i can “test” the batter. have to make sure it tastes alright before baking, right?? i’m also a sucker for sprinkles. sprinkles everywhere, on everything. i ❤ funfetti.
i figure i’d add two of my favorite things, cake batter & sprinkles, to another favorite thing: chocolate chip cookies. droooooool.
so, by replacing some regular flour in a chocolate chip cookie recipe with cake mix, the cookies come out with the amazing cake batter flavor we all know and love. the cookies turned out a bit flatter than i wanted, so i’ll make sure to use *softened* butter rather than melted next time (i noted that below). i baked half with semisweet chocolate chips and half with white chocolate chips. verdict? i like the white chocolate chip cookies better! but both kinds are obviously droolworthy.
i split the dough between two bowls and added white chocolate chips and rainbow sprinkles to one bowl…
…and semisweet chocolate chips and more rainbow sprinkles to the other bowl.
if you like the taste of cake batter (c’mon, who doesn’t?!), then you’ll flip for these cookies.
cake batter chocolate chip cookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups yellow boxed cake mix
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1.5 sticks softened butter (i used melted butter, but mine turned out a bit flat. i suggest *softened*)
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips (white or semisweet)
- 1/3 cup sprinkles
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cake mix, and baking soda.
- In a seperate bowl, beat together the butter, egg yolk, egg, and vanilla until slightly creamy. Add the sugars and stir well.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and sprinkles.
- Refrigerate dough for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove the chilled dough and scoop rounded tablespoons onto an ungreased baking sheet. (make sure to keep dough chilled when working in batches!)
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until edges are slightly browned and centers are set. Let cool and enjoy!
ps- i think you’ll enjoy these sweet eats too