i stumbled upon Jenny’s recipe for Peppermint Patty Surprise Chocolate Chunk Bars and before i knew it, i was in the grocery store buying york peppermint patties. i LOVE york peppermint patties. when it comes to candy bars, they are relatively healthy… so i justify eating more than one. or five….
anyway, this might just be the best dessert/bar/cookie i’ve EVER made. the peppermint patties melt inside the cookie bars, which i can only describe as… heavenly. these are gooey. and chewy. and perfect.
i reduced the butter and sugar from jenny’s original recipe in an effort to try to keep them on the healthy side. i also used mini chocolate chips instead of chocolate chunks. with the reduced butter and miniature chocolate chips, they still turned out incredible.
as shown below, layer the chocolate chip cookie dough at the bottom of a 9×13 pan, align peppermint patties on top, and layer again with the rest of the cookie dough…
peppermint patty chocolate chip cookie bars
(categorized under brownies/bars)
- 1.5 sticks butter, softened to room temp (if using salted butter, omit added salt below)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 12 ounce bag mini chocolate chips (I used about 3/4 of the bag, but go by your preference)
- 12 ounce bag York Peppermint Patties
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9×13 baking pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, beating until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add slowly to the wet ingredients.
- Add chocolate chips until everything is combined. Do not overmix. Transfer 1/2 of the cookie dough into baking pan. Place unwrapped peppermint patties over first half of dough. Place remaining half of cookie dough over patties, pressing to flatten and even out the dough. Bake for 38-45 minutes or until baked through and edges are brown. (Mine was exactly 38 mins)
- Allow the cookie bars to cool completely (about 1 hour) before cutting into squares. Enjoy!
adapted from here
ps: you may also enjoy these sweet eats too! 😉